Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Faith, Respect


The other day someone asked me why I believed in God. They themselves did not believe in anything and they said they often wondered why my belief was so strong. I pondered many different ways to answer this...'I just do', 'I was brought up in believing so', 'I have researched other religions and feel most drawn to the Word of the Lord.' But instead I decided to answer with a true honest answer that was a bit selfish but so true and is the root of my beliefs today.

'My grandmother passed away 3 years ago and there is not a day that goes by that I do not think of her. She believed in the Lord very much, she said her Holy Rosary everyday and always talked about the Lord to myself and everyone else. Without her wisdom and love and beliefs I would not be the same person I am today. So with that, I believe she is with the Lord and she is happy and she watches over me everyday. I have to believe in the Lord more than ever to know she is well and that she no longer experiences pain but happiness. This is what sparked my belief system so strongly as of late. I have to have belief in the Lord to know she is happy because to just think she is in a coffin somewhere and that's it...I won't believe it, I can't understand it. There is a higher force. I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ because I believe in the Word of God, the Bible as well. To me, all answers lead to Him. The more I read the Bible, attend church and pray, the more I learn about the Lord and my relationship I have with Him grows. Of course, I have setbacks...who doesn't? I am not saying that because I believe in God, I am the most perfect person and I will do everything right. Sin is what is in between us and our maker. It's a fact of life. I try and pray each day so that I can be a better person and a stronger believe in my faith so that others can see myself and want to follow as well.'

He then said, 'I don't believe in anything. I mean, of course there had to be a God...but what does that mean?'

I asked him, 'How can you believe there is a God and not believe in Him and follow Him?'

He then said, 'My life's been pretty bad. Nothing good has ever happened to me...so why should I believe?'

I told him that I was not a Pastor so I could not give him the correct answer to everything...but I instead said to him, 'A lot of people out there believe they can handle their problems on their own...and a lot of Christian people believe that if they pray about it and hand over their problems to the Lord and believe in Him to take care of it, the turnout is different for them...this is what I believe.'

He then went on to tell me how crazy I sounded and that I was full of it.

I am telling this story for one reason. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I do not make fun of or call people insane for believing in something or someone I do not believe in. Nor should I be ridiculed for my beliefs. I respect you, all I ask is you to respect me. I am offering this story in hopes this sparks an interest in someone who does not believe in God or for someone whose faith has dwindled and is in need of a boost...or for those who have experienced a situation like this.

God Bless You All.

No comments: